Friday, October 23, 2009

Two is My Limit. What's Yours?

Two is my limit.

I know myself well enough not to exceed that.

No, I am not referring to the occasional cocktail. (In that case, my limit is ½). I am referring to the number of days I can go without working out before I feel like I am losing my mind.

Some people may think that I am being obsessive about training or that I am too concerned with my appearance. However, that’s not it at all. Working out centers me, releases stress, gives me a sense of control of my life and creates a feeling of exuberance. When I miss training for too many days, I experience the exact opposite of those emotional and psychological benefits.

So, if work or life has caused me to skip training for a few days, I make sure I don’t let it last more than two. Even if I can’t make it to the gym, I at least go for a run or a walk or perhaps do some plyometrics to get in a good, energizing sweat.

In life, it is critical to know your limits. Whether it be how regularly you need to train to feel good, how much sleep you require to feel refreshed or how much of which foods you need to feel energetic and healthy, each one of us has unique needs to achieve our best self. Experiment and know yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment